My L A Weight Loss Diary

Daily musings for and about real women and men who are reshaping their bodies and their lives on the LA Weight Loss program. To become one of our bloggers, write to Blogger@myLAweightlossdiary.com

Thursday, January 11, 2007

Melissa Kellogg chronicles her yo-yo-dieting

Sometimes the stories I hear are so raw and real, they're best expressed by the storyteller. That's why I'm sharing a letter written by Melissa Kellogg, and e-mailed to me by Cheryl LeMar, manager of the L A Weight Loss Center in Evansville, Ind.

Melissa joined L A Weight Loss in the summer of 2005. This is her actual e-mail, in her own words, untouched by me. My only additions are Melissa's before and after photos, and Fast Facts. (Usually I post a PDF of the original letter, but all I have this time around is the e-mail text.)



Hi Cheryl,

I was tall and thin as a young girl, but because I was taller than the rest of my classmates, I always felt fat even though I wasn't. I was always self-conscious about being "big". After I married and had three children, I gradually added the pounds. I eventually lost those pounds, got divorced and gained again. Everytime I had a major life change, I would gain weight. As I got older, I married again and got heavy, then lost the weight again and divorced. I vowed never again for both, but guess what. I got married again, moved from the Evansville area and gained weight. This time I married my best friend and soulmate. It was a fairy tale romance and meeting. We met at my daughter's and son-in-law's wedding. He was my son-in-law's uncle. The nicest man you would ever want to meet. I lived in Evansville and he lived in Massachusetts. We had a long distance romance and married 8 months later. There were adjustments to the marriage-moving again, dealing with 2 step-children and teen-agers at that. . You guessed it, I again gained weight. Then lost some.

I felt like I was the luckiest person in the world. He was truly the love of my life. He loved life, was intelligent, fun and easy-going. Best of all, he loved to dance-one of my passions.

This fairy tale did not have a happy ending. He died suddenly of a heart attack on May 14, 1999 just 3 years after we met. I was devastated. I had a wonderful support group from the church, but I consoled myself with food. I again gained the weight. After my husband's passing, I had so many life changing decisions to make. Should I stay in Mass and stay in the job I loved or move back to Indiana to be closer to my children and grandchildren. I decided on the latter. I moved back in May of 2000 to Ft. Wayne, In. I transferred with my company. I bought a house and was just getting settled. But I was driving to Evansville every 2 weeks to see my children and grandson. Just a couple of months later, I was told my job was being eliminated. AGAIN, another major life change. I moved temporarily to Evansville and stayed with my daughter until I could decide if I wanted to hunt for work in Ft. Wayne or move back to Evansville. I moved. I got a new job, new house and was settled in Evansville again. However, the weight was still there. I would drop a few pounds and gain a few more. After 5 years of being heavy, I made a decision to try LA Weight Loss. I had decided to do this so I could be around to see my grandchildren grow up and to be able to enjoy doing things with them.
On June 1, 2005, I started the program and lost almost 90lbs by the end of January 2006. I am now at 109 lbs lost and feel incredible. I ran the other day for the first time in years. I am able to keep up with the grandkids and have such fun taking them to the park or playing putt- putt, baseball or bowling. I feel like a new woman and I am 55 years young. I say young because I haven't felt this young in years. With all the life changes and the weight, I felt much older than my years. I just recently went to Florida and went out on a wave runner (first time ever). The courage to do this is because I feel so self-confident.

The best part is I have bought all new clothes and I am dancing again. LA Weight Loss is wonderful. It has taught me how to eat right. I am so thrilled that I made that decision last year.

Melissa Kellogg



Here's Melissa before, at 271 pounds:



Look at her now! She looks AMAZING at 162 pounds!!



FAST FACTS

Name: Melissa Kellogg
Hometown: Evansville, Ind.
Age: 55

Starting weight: 271 pounds
Goal weight: 221 pounds
Current weight: 162 pounds
Program start date: June 1, 2005

Biggest temptation: Ice cream.

Biggest motivator: Ending the cycle of yo-yo dieting.

Old eating philosophy: Lots of sweets.

New eating philosophy: More lean meat proteins like chicken and fish.

Best thing about losing weight: Getting back to the things she enjoys, like country line dancing and long walks by the riverfront.

Best weight loss secret learned: Exercise is the key to losing weight and boosting your confidence.

Labels: , , ,